College Celebrates 2015 Scholarship Recipients, Donors
December 4, 2015 | The College of Health Professions awarded more than $52,000 in scholarships for 2015-2016, a record amount for the college.
The college celebrated its scholars, its growing number of scholarships and scholarship donors at its annual scholarship reception on Nov. 5. Thirty-nine students representing many of the college’s academic programs received 46 scholarships to further or complete their education this year.
“These scholarships represent an investment — not just in the academic mission of our college and university — but in the future through the contributions these students will make in their professions following graduation,” said Dean Douglas Murphy, Ph.D.
The dean said the growing number of scholarships is essential to recruiting and retaining the best and brightest students for the college’s 24 programs. Scholarships help offset the costs of tuition/fees, books and supplies and living expenses for students.
“These scholarships helped remove a heavy financial burden and made coping with life as a working student easier,” said Ellis McVoy, student in the Medical Laboratory Sciences program and recipient of two scholarships.
Set to graduate in December, with a job already lined up in the UAMS Blood Bank, McVoy said the scholarships were critical to helping him finish his education.
CHP scholarships and recipients for the 2015-2016 academic year are:
- Arkansas Hospital Auxiliary Association Scholarship — LaStacia Bradley, Kellie Flaherty
- College of Health Professions Scholarships — Rachel Ashcraft, Kaitlin Bowin, Mallory Burroughs, Tiffany Conatser, Ashton Eakin, Byron Fulk, Hilliary Harris, Shannon Lieblong, Taryn Pegram, Amanda Smith
- James O. Wear, Ph.D. Endowed Scholarship — Jonathan Chancellor
- Neal and Clara Spain Endowed Scholarship — Sharonda Smarjesse
- Ronald H. Winters, Ph.D. Endowed Scholarship — TaShayla Withers
- Walter S. Nunnelly Scholarship — Kevin Elliott
DEPARTMENT OF DENTAL HYGIENE
- Ann Bowers Hurst Endowed Scholarship — Kaitey Willingham
- Alice Marie Kelly Kuntz Endowed Scholarship — Ashley Beaird
- Arkansas State Dental Hygienists Association Endowed Scholarship — Ashley Beaird
- Delta Dental Plan of Arkansas Endowed Scholarship — Mollie Arnold
- Virginia Goral Endowed Scholarship — Kristi Flesher
DEPARTMENT OF IMAGING AND RADIATION SCIENCES
DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY
- Terry J. DuBose Endowed Scholarship — Beth Anderson
RADIOLOGIC IMAGING SCIENCES
- Dr. and Mrs. W.R. Brooksher, Jr. Endowed Scholarship — Kelli Brown
- Dr. & Mrs. Cyrus P. Klein Scholarship — Carrie Eagan, Jennifer Torrado
- Jeremy L. Overstreet Memorial Scholarship — Kalie Riegel
- Joseph R. Bittengle Memorial Endowed Scholarship — Kalie Riegel
- Kenneth C. Pederson Memorial Scholarship — Kelli Brown, Kalie Riegel
DEPARTMENT OF LABORATORY SCIENCES
- Eulalia S. Araoz Endowed Scholarship — Bree Huff, Ashley Moreland
- Wanda L. Culbreth Scholarship — Bree Huff
MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENCES
- Bobby Morgan Endowed Scholarship — Jesse Jacobs
- Jerry Brummett Endowed Scholarship — Edward McVoy
- Sharon Gibbert Award — Jennifer Ball, Jed Currey, Jacob Jeffers, Hua Yan
- Kathleen M. Mugan Endowed Scholarship — Jesse Jacobs
- Gene Hall Memorial Endowed Scholarship — Edward McVoy, Chelsea Washington
- Paula Peacock Memorial Endowed Scholarship — Jennifer Ball, Jasmine Jackson
DEPARTMENT OF OPHTHALMIC MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY
- John Shock, M.D. Endowed Scholarship — Anderson Brock, Lauren Pipkin
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT STUDIES
- Arkansas Medical, Dental, & Pharmaceutical Association Scholarship — Ebony Montgomery
- Ruth M. Allen, Ph.D. Endowed Scholarship — Shelby Schaff