How to Apply
Application Process and Timeline
The regular application deadline is the first Monday in October. All necessary documents for applications must be submitted via our online application system, www.ptcas.org. First consideration may be given to Arkansas residents; however, highly qualified out-of-state applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and may successfully compete for admission.
Applicants must provide:
- CHP Supplemental Application: Application is required and is available here.
- Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $40.00 is required and must accompany the supplemental application.
- Documentation of Observation Hours: Completion of a minimum of 60 hours of volunteer or work experience in a variety of physical therapy settings with at least 20 hours in each of two separate settings such as outpatient, acute care, rehab/sub-acute rehab, extended care facility, nursing home, home health, wellness/prevention/fitness, industrial/occupational health, and school/preschool. Observation hours must be documented in PTCAS.
- Reference Letters: Two reference letters are required. One reference letter must be from a licensed Physical Therapist. Other eligible references are listed on the Admission Requirements page. Applicants will be required to enter the reference name and email address on the online application. The information will automatically generate an email to the references with instructions for completing and submitting the reference form.
- GRE Scores: Submitted GRE scores will be used only for program development purposes; they will not be used for making admission decisions. Use Institution Code 2121 for the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences PTCAS.
- Official Transcripts: A bachelor’s degree completed by June 1 of the year of admission along with specific prerequisite coursework and a minimum cumulative and prerequisite GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required for consideration for admission. Note that 24 of the 33 required hours of pre-requisite courses must be completed by the application deadline. Admission to the program for students who have completed 24 out of the required 33 credit hours will be conditional pending the completion of all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better before matriculation.
- Interview: Qualified applicants will be invited for an on-campus interview between November and December.
- International Applications: See International Applicants section in the Admissions/Academic Information section of the catalog; includes information about TOEFL scores, international transcript evaluation, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: The Doctor of Physical Therapy program is unable to accept applications from international students with F-1 visas at this time.
**All accepted applicants must consent to a criminal background check and drug screen prior to matriculation. Background checks and drug screens are required by most clinical sites during the didactic and clinical phase of the program. Matriculation into the program is contingent upon acceptable background check and drug screen results. Adverse results of a background check will be considered on an individual basis and may result in an inability to matriculate into the program. Enrolled students may be randomly drug tested throughout the curriculum and clinical sites may require updated background checks. More information about the requirement will be provided to accepted applicants.
This schedule represents the admissions timeline in a typical year. In any given year, the schedule may have to be adjusted.
|July 6, 2018||TENTATIVE Date for 2018-2019 PTCAS Application to Open|
|First Monday in October||Deadline for regular admission. Note – applicants must have completed at least 24 of the 33 required hours of pre-requisite courses by time of submission.|
|November through December||Interviews for regular admission applicants.|
|December through January||Initial acceptance letters for regular admission and alternate letters mailed. All accepted applicants are required to submit a non-refundable $500 matriculation deposit at time of acceptance. This deposit will be applied towards the first semester’s tuition.|
|August||Entering cohort begins first semester of DPT program.|
To learn more about the Accreditation Status of the Physical Therapy program, please CLICK HERE