How to Apply
Application Process and Timeline
The regular application deadline is October 2, 2017. All necessary documents for applications must be submitted via our online application system, www.ptcas.org. First consideration may be given to Arkansas residents; however, highly qualified out-of-state applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and may successfully compete for admission.
Applicants must provide:
- CHP Supplemental Application: Application is required and is available here.
- Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $40.00 is required and must accompany the supplemental application.
- Documentation of Observation Hours: Completion of a minimum of 60 hours of volunteer or work experience in a variety of physical therapy settings with at least 20 hours in each of two separate settings such as outpatient, acute care, rehab/sub-acute rehab, extended care facility, nursing home, home health, wellness/prevention/fitness, industrial/occupational health, and school/preschool. Observation hours to be documented in PTCAS.
- Reference Letters: Two reference letters are required. One reference letter must be from a Physical Therapist. Other eligible references are listed on the Admission Requirements page. Applicants will be required to enter the reference name and email address on the online application. The information will automatically generate an email to the references with instructions for completing and submitting the reference form. Applicants submitting more than two letters of reference will be penalized.
- Resume: A separate, formal resume uploaded to PTCAS in a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF document.
- GRE Scores: Use Institution Code: 2121 and Department Code: 0619 to have scores sent directly to PTCAS and to the CHP.
- Official Transcripts: A bachelor’s degree completed by June 1 of the year of admission along with specific prerequisite coursework and a minimum cumulative and prerequisite GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required for consideration for admission. Note that 24 of the 33 required hours of pre-requisite courses must be completed by the application deadline. Admission to the program for students who have completed 24 out of the required 33 credit hours will be conditional pending the completion of all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better before matriculation.
- Interview: Qualified applicants will be invited for an on-campus interview beginning in November.
- TOEFL scores as applicable: See International Applicants in the Admissions/Academic Information section of the catalog.
Early Admission Option
The UAMS DPT program has opened up an ‘early admission’ option for this upcoming year. The deadline for the early admission application is August 14, 2017 for admission into the class of 2020.
The requirements for applying to early admission are:
- Minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Minimum 3.5 prerequisite GPA
- Have completed all but 9 credits of the prerequisites by the time of the early admission application deadline
- Have completed all other program prerequisites (including taken the GRE)
- Complete all of the application process and upload all documents by the deadline
- You may email the program at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be considered for early decision yet keep your decision status in PTCAS as regular.
- Refer to the website and PTCAS for all other admission requirements
In the event you choose to apply for early admission, you will be notified by October 2, 2017 if you are offered an early admission spot in the program. If you do not qualify or chose not to apply for early admission, your application will be considered for the regular admission deadline, which is October 2, 2017. When sending in materials for your application, please indicate that you are applying early admission.
- First consideration may be given to Arkansas residents; however, highly qualified out-of-state applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and may successfully compete for admission. The program is committed to admitting and graduating qualified candidates from diverse groups.
- The program accepts one new cohort of 26 students to begin the program each fall semester.
- The application deadline for early admission is August 14, 2017. The application deadline for regular admission is October 2, 2017. All necessary documents for applications must be submitted to PTCAS on or before these dates.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible.
- Applicants will be selected for interviews by the PT Program Admission Committee and will be invited for an on-campus interview beginning in November.
**All accepted applicants must consent to a criminal background check and drug screen prior to matriculation. Background checks and drug screens are required by most clinical sites during the didactic and clinical phase of the program. Matriculation into the program is contingent upon acceptable background check and drug screen results. Adverse results of a background check will be considered on an individual basis and may result in an inability to matriculate into the program. Enrolled students may be randomly drug tested throughout the curriculum and clinical sites may require updated background checks. More information about the requirement will be provided to accepted applicants.
This schedule represents the admissions timeline in a typical year. In any given year, the schedule may have to be adjusted.
|June 30||Application opens on PTCAS|
|August 14||Deadline for EARLY admission. Note – applicants must have completed at least 24 of the 33 required hours of pre-requisite courses by time of submission and have a minimum GPA of 3.5/4.0 to qualify.|
|September - October||Interviews for early admission applicants and early applicants notified if accepted. All accepted applicants are required to submit a non-refundable $500 matriculation deposit at time of acceptance. This deposit will be applied towards the first semester’s tuition.|
|October 2||Deadline for regular admission. Note – applicants must have completed at least 24 of the 33 required hours of pre-requisite courses by time of submission.|
|November – December||Interviews for regular admission applicants.|
|December – January||Initial acceptance letters for regular admission and alternate letters mailed. All accepted applicants are required to submit a non-refundable $500 matriculation deposit at time of acceptance. This deposit will be applied towards the first semester’s tuition.|
|August||Entering cohort begins first semester of DPT program.|
To learn more about the Accreditation Status of the Physical Therapy program, please CLICK HERE