Ruth M. Allen, Ph.D. Endowed Scholarship
Eligible: Continuing Physician Assistant Students
Background and Purpose
This scholarship honors Dr. Ruth Allen, former associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Health Professions. Dr. Allen retired from UAMS in 2002 after serving in various academic leadership roles.
Award Amount and Timing
Subject to the availability of funds, the total annual award is $1,000 to the selected student. Scholarship award is as follows: $500 per semester, fall and spring semester enrollment.
- Any individual pursuing a degree in Physician Assistant is eligible, the donor desires that preference shall be given to female applicants.
- The applicant must possess a genuine commitment to community service and demonstrate that involvement through service-learning and community service activities directly related to the UAMS Physician Assistant Program.
- Applicant must have a cumulative program GPA (cGPA) of at least a 3.0 at the time the scholarship application is submitted. The cumulative GPA is the average of all grades achieved in all graded courses appearing on the CHP transcript. Only courses in which regular letter grades are earned are used in the GPA calculation.
- Documented Financial Need – All students applying for scholarships must apply for financial aid. Students are not required to accept awarded loans, but in order to generate the aid report required that officially documents financial need, a completed FAFSA is required. Please see the Student Financial Services website for more information.
- Applicant must submit three references on the scholarship application: one from a community service partner, one from a current faculty member in the Department of Physician Assistant Studies, and one from an individual of the applicants choosing. Students are advised not to list relatives as references.