How to Apply
All application materials should be received by February 15 to be considered for admission. Early consideration will be given to those who have submitted complete applications by the early consideration deadline, December 15. Late applications may not be reviewed after February 15. Applicants must provide:
- Application for Admission: The application is required. Apply directly online by clicking here.
- Application Fee: A $40.00 non-refundable fee is required and must accompany the application.
- Official Transcripts: A bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university is required. Arrange for each college or university you have attended to forward an official transcript of your course work. Must have a minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.85 on a 4.0 scale. In special circumstances, the GPA in the major for the last two years, or the GPA for a graduate degree (in a related field) may be considered in lieu of the cumulative undergraduate GPA. However, each required prerequisite course (see Prerequisites) must be completed with letter grade of “C” or above. Submit official transcripts to the UAMS College of Health Professions, 4301 West Markham, #619, Little Rock, AR 72205.
- GRE Scores: Submission of official GRE scores to the UAMS College of Health Professions, 4301 West Markham, #619, Little Rock, AR 72205. Must be taken within 5 years of application for admission. No advanced subject score required. Institution code: 6146.
- Professional Observation (two types):
- Working or volunteering in a counseling setting where one receives training and supervision in providing counseling to other individuals; example settings include a counseling service, a crisis or suicide hotline, a domestic violence shelter or hotline, or a pregnancy counseling center such as Planned Parenthood. Experience working with individuals with disabilities and/or teaching are also helpful to applicants.
- Additionally, applicants must have job shadowed for at least one day or have completed a genetic counseling internship before applying. If not completed before applying, admission to the program will be contingent upon completion of that prior to matriculation.
- Download the Professional Observation Form.
- Essay: An 800-word statement that addresses one’s personal goals and professional career vision to be submitted by uploading it to the “Upload Documents” section of the online application.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required. Applicants will be required to enter the reference name and email address on the online application. That information will automatically generate an email to the reference with instructions for completing and submitting the reference form.
- Resume: A current curriculum vitae or resume is to be submitted by uploading it to the “Upload Documents” section of the online application.
- TOEFL Scores as applicable. See International Applicants in the Admissions/Academic Information section of the College of Health Professions catalog.
- Interview: Qualified applicants will be contacted after the admissions deadline to arrange an interview.
*Admission Requirements for Foreign, Non-permanent Resident Alien, and Non-native English Speakers: All applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent resident aliens or for whom English is not their native language must meet additional admission requirements. Please consult the Admission/Academic Information section of the CHP Catalog found at THIS LINK.
All accepted applicants must consent to a criminal background check and drug screen prior to matriculation. Background checks and drug screens are required by most clinical sites during the didactic and clinical phase of the program. Matriculation into the program is contingent upon acceptable background check and drug screen results. Adverse results of a background check will be considered on an individual basis and may result in an inability to matriculate into the program. Enrolled students may be randomly drug tested throughout the curriculum and clinical sites may require updated background checks. More information about the requirement will be provided to accepted applicants.